Monday, August 06, 2007

Go Connor!

I forgot to add to the weekend update our proud parent moment of the day! A female police officer was who was helping to check out car seats asked for our address for a form she had to fill out. I said the numbers and as I paused for her to write them down Connor filled in the street, city and state. Her jaw dropped a bit and she looked at me for confirmation that it was right. It was! She asked him for his phone number and he got a bit shy (so unlike him but he could tell he was in the spotlight) so I helped him with the area code and he did the rest! She was so surprised at this point that she thought she'd keep going, asking him for my name, Daddy's name, how old his brother is and how old he is. He got them all right and was on a roll so he spelled his first name for her even though she didn't need to know it for the form. She was truly shocked and told me that she visits classrooms of 1st and 2nd graders and tells them how important it is to know all that information and the majority of them don't. Yay us!

Teaching him that info was really just a happy accident! He loves to hear stories about himself and things he's done whether it's from when he was a baby or just a recap of what he did that day. One day when I couldn't decide on an event to tell the story about I was just filling time by saying "Once upon a time there was a little boy named Connor. He lived at (address) with his Mommy and Daddy and baby Logan. One day..." After telling the story that day I realized that I should add that and more info like it to the stories since I was repeating them so often. He picked up the address really quickly so I started adding the phone number and his birthdate. I told the police officer about it and she thought it was a great idea!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nikki- Just saw your comment on our blog! We live in between Lafayette & Broomfield. :) I just LOVE this post- it's such a brilliant idea to fill in those important details in a story. I will definitley be doing this tonight at story time!

    ReplyDelete