Saturday, February 17, 2007

I love Saturdays :)

Saturdays are great!

Connor started his new swim class today and it was GREAT! We were a bit skeptical about sending him in the water by himself since previous swim classes required us to go with him, but he didn't care at all. The teacher called his name and took him, his friend Rhyann and two other 3 year olds (a boy and a girl) into the pool. Jeremy and Jason (Rhyann's Dad) walked down from the viewing room to the pool with them but came back and watched the class with the moms. They sang ring around the rosie and put their ears in the water and sat on the edge and kicked and blew bubbles. Then the teacher had all four of them stand on the side of the pool and had each one jump in. The first girl was very timid - the teacher practically pulled her into the water. Rhyann was very excited to try jumping but seemed a little scared too - she sat down and then got in the water. The boy held the teacher's hands and sort of fell into the water. Connor was bouncing up and down with excitement while the other three kids had their turn and when it was finally his turn he jumped about three feet into the water into the teacher's arms! She was a bit surprised at how brave he was! He was smiling the whole time and has talked about it all day! We can't wait for next Saturday for more swim class :)

Another reason I like Saturdays is because of the Couples section in the Longmont Times Call. I love reading about the newlyweds, engagement announcements and baby announcements. It might be partly because of Jay Leno's headlines on Monday nights when he makes fun of engaged couple's last names (hilarious) and partly because we had so much trouble coming up with names for our own kids, but the Couples section is better than the Sunday comics for me :) Today was the best in a long time though! Why? A couple with the last name Burger had a baby girl recently and named her...get this...Anya Nicole. Seems fairly boring, huh? However, Anya Burger? Say this out loud: Whaddya want, Anya Burger? What do you want on your burger, Anya Burger? Anya Burger!!!! What were they thinking??? :) Her middle name should have been cheese...or at least Colby...haha

One not so fun thing about today was that around 5 pm we decided that Connor needed new gloves. He has a pair of mittens and a pair of gloves but neither fit very well and neither are very warm. We're going up to Papa and Grandma's house tomorrow and we'll quite likely go sledding or at least play in the snow, so having good fitting warm gloves is important. So Connor and I set out in search of gloves...in Colorado...in February. No problem, right? Our first stop was Target. No gloves. Next we went to Sports Authority. They sold out of their kid gloves last month. Um, ever thought of ordering more? I called Jeremy and had him look up the number and call Big 5 to see if they had kids gloves before we drove all the way over there. Jeremy called and at first the woman didn't know what "toddler" meant so Jeremy said they were for a 3 year old and she said that they had plenty of kids gloves for 3 year olds. So, Connor and I drove to Big 5. We walked in and this is how it went (yep, I was a bit testy before we even opened the door...):

Me: Hi, can you show me where the gloves are?
Big 5 guy #1: What kind of gloves?
Me: Umm...gloves for him? (pointing to Connor) Kids gloves.
Big 5 guy #1: Snow gloves?
Me: Yeah. Oh, you thought I was asking for a baseball glove? No, winter gloves.
Big 5 guy #1: Well, gloves aren't really my thing, but I'll show you.
Me: Not really your thing? The store isn't that big.
Big 5 guy #1: I work in shoes.
Me: Hmm. Ok.

We walk to the glove area which, I swear, is not more than 15 feet from the shoes.

Big 5 guy #1: Here they are.
Me: Looks like these are adult gloves. Do you have gloves for kids?
Big 5 guy #1: I think we're sold out.
Me: Wow, my husband just called 20 minutes ago and was told that you had kids gloves. Did you sell out in the last 20 minutes?
Big 5 guy #1: I'll get the cashier, gloves are her thing.

I tried not to laugh as he walked away. Connor and I looked at the gloves and looked around the area for a bigger selection - surely they had more than this! There couldn't have been more than 30 pairs of gloves there - mostly mens with a few womens thrown in here and there. After a few minutes I realized the cashier was not coming to us so I walked over to her. Before I could get there I was intercepted by another Big 5 guy....

Big 5 guy #2: Can I help you find something?
Me: Yes, I'm looking for some kids gloves and my husband just called to see if you had some and was told that you did. Can you show them to me?
Big 5 guy #2: Sure, they're over here.

We walk back to, guess where? The same exact spot we had been.

Big 5 guy #2: The selection isn't very big - we sold out of most of our gloves in December.

Ugh! I know there was a lot of snow in December and I'm sure that lots of people ran out and bought new snow gear as soon as they could. But this is Colorado! It will snow again! And people will want more snow gear! Especially from sporting goods stores that sell skis, snowboards, sleds, etc. Grrr. Frustrating. On the bright side, we stopped by Kmart and found gloves for $1! I hope no little boys need gloves in March because the only gloves Kmart has are on the 75% off rack!

Good thing I have baby Anya Burger to laugh about, huh? :) Baby Anya Burger...oh that's worse! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment