Thursday, March 22, 2007

Give me a C, give me an O....

We went to a free trial class at the Boulder JCC this morning - Theater playtime was the name of the class. There were 6 kids (4 girls, 2 boys) and they had fun pretending to be different animals, walking through a room full of peanut butter or bubbles, and doing the "freeze" dance. Then it was time to choose a costume and make up a play. Two girls chose to be fairies. The other two chose to be princesses. One boy chose to be a pirate. The other boy, yeah that would be Connor, chose to be a.....cheerleader. Yep, a cheerleader. Pom-poms and all. The teacher tried to talk him into wearing a cape, a cowboy hat, anything else but a cheerleader costume as she was very surprised he wanted it in the first place. As I was taking pictures another mom said "I guess he won't be running for office now, huh?" Sigh...why is it so wrong for him to pretend to be a cheerleader? He's 3! Should I start drilling into his head which things are for boys and which things are for girls? Is it weird that he doesn't already know which tiny little box he's supposed to fit into? I don't think wearing a cheerleader costume is going to make him gay any more than I think wearing his Superman costume week after week (as he did around Halloween last year) would make him suddenly learn how to fly. Nor do I think it will preclude him from running for office though I'm not sure why anyone would want to run for office these days anyway :) So...here is my very cheery little 3 year old boy!



For the record, he still wanted to save the princesses from the bad guy. :)

2 comments:

  1. I Love It! I'm in the same boat you are. My 3 year old does whatever looks interesting and a lot of times it's things people might raise their eyebrows at, like putting on makup or Mommy's high-heeled shoes. It's fun and I can't imagine anyone taking it to mean anything.

    Great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christopher doesn't fit the typical "boy" mold all the time either, and I don't think he is going to turn out any better or worse than any other little boys. He is and hopefully will always be himself...a truly unique individual. Connor sure looks cute in his cheerleading outfit. I will have to send you a pic of Christopher in his bracelets, heels, purse and pink shades. :)

    ReplyDelete