Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What is the world coming to?

So on Monday I had what I thought was a brilliant idea. I thought it would be very useful to my family and others if there was somewhere we could take our children on the evening of Tuesday, February 5th, for a few hours so that both parents could attend their party's presidential caucus. I thought the perfect place for this in Longmont would be Bounce Town since they are very kid friendly and offered a similar service in December - they called it Drop 'n Shop and parents could drop off their kids for 4 hours of bouncing, movies and pizza while they theoretically did last minute Christmas shopping. Connor attended one of the Drop 'n Shop sessions and had a great time! So I called Bounce Town and asked the woman who answered the phone if they'd be willing to offer a similar event for the day of Colorado's caucuses. She said she'd talk to the owner and get back to me. Great! She called back and said the owner might be willing to do it but asked if I knew of other moms that would be interested. Naively I thought that of course other moms would be interested and told her I'd e-mail a moms group I'm in and see if I could gauge how many people would attend. Wouldn't people jump at the chance to let their kids have lots of fun while both parents went to their caucus? I immediately sent the e-mail out to the group of just over 100 Longmont moms asking if they'd use this service if Bounce Town provided it and would you like to hear the response?




Are those crickets I hear chirping?




Ok, ok, there were technically a couple of responses. One suggested I use the babysitting co-op group they have as part of the moms group but, oh yeah, you have to register for it and attend an organizational meeting and the next meeting isn't until after the caucus. The other responses were women asking for more details on the babysitting co-op that the first response had mentioned. Ugh.

So the way I look at it I'm either the only one in the group that doesn't have childcare available for that night or I'm the only one in the group who wants to participate in the presidential caucus. I really really hope it's not that I'm the only one who wants to participate....

Unfortunately I had to call Bounce Town and tell them that sadly over 100 moms in Longmont have no interest in my idea but that I really appreciated their willingness to hold such an event. Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment